- Every second counts in an emergency. Don’t hesitate to contact 9-1-1 first during an emergency for police, fire or medical assistance.
- Get to a safe location before calling. If you are calling to report a fire, exit the burning building before calling.
- Stay calm and answer all questions about your emergency.
- State what help you need: police, fire or EMS/medical.
- State your address, describe your location as completely as possible using cross streets or landmarks.
- Stay on the line — do not hang up until the operator says it’s OK.